Tuesday, April 1, 2014

THE STICK


One year I returned after the summer to find a 7 foot long aluminum stick with a small knob at one end that was used to close certain very high windows. After trying to find out where it belonged and getting no takers, I adopted it as my own. One student, Richard, offered to make it shorter and put a decorative knob on one end. I gave it to him to take home and a couple of days later he returned the much shorter stick with a decorated metal knob with my initials embossed on it. I was thrilled. Unfortunately I could not give him grade credit so I offered to pay him for his work but he refused. He said he did it because he respected my so much. I loved hearing stuff like that.  

The stick became locally famous and played the leading role in maybe the greatest story of all.  More stick  drama to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment