Thursday, April 24, 2014

MY TEACHING PHILOSOPHY

It took a few years to develop my teaching philosophy and, to be honest, with all the education classes I took, with all the practice I had, and with the semester of student teaching I took, when I got my own classroom I still didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. I remember the first class I taught by myself. It was not an auspicious beginning. I was acting like the big tough dude and what I really was was the big scared dude. At least I was big. Those first classes, unfortunately, were my laboratory and the students occasionally suffered for it.

I had been told by the old timers, “Never smile until Easter.” So, being a brand new teacher, I really laid down the law with firm words and dire warnings about what would happen if my charges defied my will. I was really playing the tough guy. I was also told that I should engage my students in discussion and honor their ideas as if there were actually right. I worked very hard to get my student to speak and contribute to the non-existent discussions in class. But I noticed that when I came into room, everyone got really quiet and really still. After some weeks I finally got the kids to start talking. I asked why they had been so reticent to take part in discussing anything class. As it turns out my rule making and warning had been much more successful than I had anticipated. They told me they were afraid to breathe, let alone venture an opinion about anything. I also discovered that I had a much better rapport with all my students if I engaged them honestly and respectfully; even to the point of telling them that I may have been a little harsh in my initial disciplinary rantings. 

Another revelation was that they had no idea that it was my first year of teaching and how scared I was. I started teaching when I was 25, after having served time in the US Army. Some of that self assurance gained obviously was apparent. I was also married with a child, thus was not your typical “just out of college teacher. Those classes turned out to really great classes and they are wonderful memories for me.

Within a few years I had developed, often by trial and many errors, a message that worked for me. 1. “You will be expected” is a much better statement for their behavior than, “Thou shalt not” 2. You will be expected to take an active part in class and for those of you who are shy, you may take part by actively listening. You will be expected to respect others by listening when they are talking and respecting others opinions even it is wrong, in your opinion. One can disagree respectfully 3. I am a human being with a family, (one son, at the time) and I get hungry, so if you see me in the grocery store try not to feel awkward, because I have to buy food. 4. I have a very good sense of humor and and if you say something funny in the classroom, I will laugh. I will laugh even harder if the humor is appropriate to the subject matter at hand.

Andy, a very capable and quick thinking young man, made a very appropriate statement about our subject and it was even a clever shot at the teacher. I was telling about the Gilded Age of the late 19th Century America that developed among the rich during the American Industrial Revolution . The very rich often lived a very showy, even ostentatious, lifestyle. Andy raised his hand and when recognized (Hey, I know you) said” Mr. McAdams, I think that if one uses the word ostentatious, he is ostentatious. I laughed, the class laughed and Andy beamed with pride. “Great point,” I said, you have an 'A' for the day. I really got to love that stuff.

I became a very popular teacher with the teens and I championed many of their causes, which occasionally got me in some hot water with the administration because some administrators had an “us against them” mind set. I wrote very few referrals and my students and I thrived together in mutual care and respect. In some cases we survived .

The question then becomes, “what approach should a teacher take as far as the subject matter is concerned. Clearly, that depends a lot on the subject matter and what is required to master the subject and on the nature of the class. For example, In algebra class it is essential to do a lot of memorization of equations. In Chemistry, one must know formulas, and in Geometry, theorems. In history it is not nearly as important to do a lot of memorization of exact quotes, exact dates, speeches and laws. Names of laws sometimes were important and a good understanding of cause and effect on everything is helpful, but my students could live a very fulfilling life even if they did not learn a lot of History. History, in the big scheme of things, is a minor life skill. English grammar, math and science are much more important for survival in our society. There are three basic life skills in History class I wanted my students to have at their disposal 1. A lust of learning that would carry over into all phases of life. 2. Critical thinking skills lessons to be learned from studying History that can help them learn even more in the future 3. An appreciation of who they are and why they are who they are. This is the reason History is important or, in case someone goes on a game show 4. Enough History facts ( a very slippery word) that will provide an overall foundation in the subject if they choose to go that way.

Thus, my biggest questions started with the words , “why, do you think that?, what is your opinion on? Do you thinks this was handled in the best manner and, followed up again by the that student frightening word. “why.” And the most dreaded of all, discuss the assets and liabilities of, and, the second hated phrase, give specific reasons for your conclusions.

This philosophy carried over into testing. Yes testing, which is often hated by students and teachers alike. Even though multiple choice items are frowned upon by certain folks in the field of formal education, I found them to be very useful in evaluating a student grasp of the subject matter. Poor test questions often evaluate trivial learning.  Typical multiple choice question often started like, “In what year did, who of the following said, who was the leading general at,” Well you get the picture I preferred stems like the following for multiple choice questions, “Which of the following statements best describes," “Which of the following factors led the leading general at Gettysburg to command Picket to charge the center of the Union forces."  These are a totally different kind of test items. One requires a basic knowledge of facts, the other requires the same plus analytical and critical thinking skills. Even thinking, concentration skills and observation skills can be tested with multiple choice items. For example, “Which of the following statements least describes Washington decision to put down the Whisky Rebellion?" Be careful of those negative concepts that require attentive reading.

My bottom line philosophy? I eventually figured out that I needed to go into each class period with the vow to respect each student as a thinking entity with feelings and pride until I am proven wrong. It worked for me but not necessarily for every teacher.
One of the things I had on my side was the awareness of personal humbleness and being armed with the knowledge that in every classroom, there were many people smarter than I and some that would make a lot more money than I did in my lifetime. that some would become famous, usually for good things they did.

I was a big tease and often had some sharp barbs for students and I always made it clear to them at the beginning of the year that I would probably tease you often this year and you are perfectly welcome and safe in doing so to me. For the most part, they took me up on that and it was great. They deserved my best shot at making their goals and life choices easier and part of that was to be able to engage with adults in respectful banter.

Summed up quickly, I wanted my students to love learning and I wanted to give them the skills to do so. Some classes were tougher than others to institute that love and those skills. Having students who are grouped together in homogenous classes, I.e. Advanced, Honors, Regular and Remedial, I found that some groups were harder to motivate than others. In my experience, the “better,” sometimes more popular teachers and occasionally those with an in with the administration, eventually get the higher rated classes even though the other classes are ones that need the more motivated and motivating educators. Those “lesser” classes are a bit more difficult to build that urge to learn and the desire to work hard enough to acquire the skills to learn. They often feel forgotten, with seems to tend to have a lack of hope for high achievements. It was inevitable that in the “regular” classes, when the lust for learning kicked in in a student, it was always a big thrill to me.

I actually have an advantage with the Non-advanced, honors program student because, 1- I was a very bad high school student and 2- I was willing to admit this to my students. They are able to see a person like themselves who, at least, in their eyes, achieved. I was often asked to give them a break on a grade because I had experienced bad grades. My answer to those request was, sorry, nobody gave me those breaks, but I think you can do well yourself and I am willing to help you improve.

It all comes down to the kids and whether a teacher can hit the right nerve or nerves. Sometime we can and sometimes we can't and sometimes that is very sad.






1 comment: