Wednesday, April 2, 2014

In my first year of teaching, I was amazingly enthusiastic and naive.  I dressed very well and had gathered a large array of shirts, pants and ties for my job.  My mother-in-law gave a beautiful silk tie  of which I was very proud.

One very hot, September  day while teaching a study hall in the large cafeteria, the custodial staff brought in a couple of very large fans on  stands and turned them on.  Since it was pre-air conditioning,  the room was sweltering.  After a little time and young lady suggested that I change the direction of one of the fans to better cover the  students.  I thought that was a great idea and walked to the fan, grasped the pole supporting the fan to move it and because of the power of the fan , it sucked my tie into the fan and shredded it, I mean, really shredded it.

There I stood with a shredded tie in front of about 150 students who continued to laugh until the end of the class and for many days after.  Welcome to teaching, Charlie McAdams.

2 comments:

  1. The amazing thing was that she continued to give you beautiful ties for many years despite your mistreatment of this one.

    ReplyDelete