Sunday, June 22, 2014

For a number of years I shared a ride to work and back with another teacher. At the time I was driving an F-100 pick-up truck without air bags and I don't remember if it had seat belts. It had a one barrel carburetor (does anyone remember those)that I actually rebuilt. One day, as we were leaving school, we were traveling down a neighborhood road and there was a squirrel in the road having a snack. I jokingly said, " hey let's see if I can hit this squirrel." I assumed that it would see a two-ton bright red, relatively loud vehicle approaching on a road with no other traffic. Bad calculation. I ran over the animal which was accompanied with two distinct thumps, one each from a front and a back wheel. I was upset and had some strong feelings of guilt. The other teacher, I think, believed that I actually was trying to kill the squirrel. I was, instead, just being stupid. It took me a few years to convince my friend that it was unintentional. I find that with age you make those types of decisions less often, but, in my case, never eliminate them.

2 comments:

  1. I remember you rebuilding that carburetor. And if that memory is correct it took a while to get it working again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually it only took about a day, but when I finished there was a part left over that never got put in, but it worked fine. My mechanic bought the truck from me because it started easily on a very cold morning.

    ReplyDelete