Sunday, August 31, 2014

Samantha


There are so many examples of wonderful students, wonderful people who were my students and some time I get wonderful athletes that were wonderful people who were wonderful students. One of those is a young lady, first name, Samantha.  Because she is one of some local notoriety and since many of you know her personally, you will easily guess who she is but I will stick by my policies of only using first name.

I first got to know Samantha at Manual high school watching this tall thin freshman play basketball for the school.  At more than 6 feet tall she could have play forward or even center on some teams, but she was a guard and a superb on at that.  I never saw her show anger or disgust but she made her statement through her play and quiet competitiveness.  She never got in people faces or did anything to show off, but just did the job.

Later, she was one of my students in US History in her junior year.  By then she was well known among followers of girls athletics in Jefferson County and the state of Kentucky.  I found her to be humble, caring and congenial with all, respectful of her teachers and peers and never heard a bad word about her.  I was not sure if this was sincere but soon learned that it certainly was. I was watching her play one night and was sitting beside a female spectator and struck up a conversation.  While watching the game, I happen to say to her, do you see that player dribbling the ball, that is Samantha __________ and she is not only a great basketball player, but she is also a great person and student.  The woman turned to me and said, "Thank you, Samantha is my daughter."  We introduce ourselves and had a big laugh.  I told her that I needed to be the one thanking her for rearing such a great kid for the benefit of the world.  I think that may have embarrassed her.

Samantha went on to be an a star at Auburn, University in Alabama, and as far as I know, she still holds the school record for career three point shots made.  Samantha went into coaching and eventually made her way home and is now an assistant coach for Jeff Walz of the Louisville Cardinal women's basketball team.  A couple of years ago she had her number retired by Manual High School and I went to the game to see it.  I talked to her before the ceremony due to be done during half-time.  With her were a couple of players from the University of Louisville.  One was the now famous WNBA player and native-American ambassador, Shoni Schimmel.  Shoni found out that I was one of her teachers and asked me what Samantha was like in high school.  When I told her the truth, she asked me how much her coach had paid me to say that.  But that is how she is.  Samantha is one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment